baslinux - [BL] BL3.40 with X_SVGA can't find cursor font

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL3.40 with X_SVGA can't find cursor font
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 18:15:47 +0000 (UTC)

Toshiba Satellite with Chips and Technologies 82c455 video chip, displays in DOS at 800x600 (Pictview), crashes Xvesa.

I installed Slackware 4.0 xsvga.tgz and am using my generic XF86Config for 800 resolution (which worked with Matrox and Tseng cards).

It gets past 'error opening security policy file.' but then:

Fatal server error: could not open default cursor font 'cursor'.

BL2 has 5K /usr/X11R6/lib/misc/cursor.pcf.gz. Not library dependent. I copied it to BL3.40, did not help. Then I added to fonts.dir

cursor.pcf.gz cursor
and changed the 5 on the first line to 6 (there are now 6 fonts).

Perhaps cursor.pcf.gz should be added to BL3.4.1 so it will work with X-SVGA on laptop computers that don't work with Xvesa.

Got past the cursor problem and now:
rxvt: can't load color "Black".
Look at rgb.txt: it has both black and Black. Now what?

.xinitrc loads an rxvt. I removed the rxvt.
Now I get a lot of vertical colored lines, the ones at the rightmost keep changing, and there is 1" of vertical black stripe at far right.
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

icewm - load pixmap failed (several lines of this).

swm gives a similar effect, but a grid instead of most of the vertical stripes and no message about pixmap.

I hit Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to exit both wm's.

If I remark out all of .xinitrc it gets to the security policy line and then exits X by itself.

X_SVGA in theory supports this exact chip, according to a 1995 man page,
in 8-bit color. ct455/82c455

Steven, could you try X_SVGA with BL3.40 please?

I tried 3.40 with both 3.40 (2.2.26) and 3.32 (2.1.16) kernels and with
SW4.0 X_SVGA - should I try a later X_SVGA?

We have not used this laptop with any X before.

The Compaq laptop with wd chip worked with X_SVGA and special modelines. I don't recall needing any extra cursor fonts in BL3.32 or having problesm with Black. I think we used SW4.0 X_SVGA since we don't have libc6 on there.

I have not tried BL3 with non-Xvesa X on any other computer. X_SVGA worked fine on several desktops in BL2 with SiS, S3, Matrox (non-fb), Tseng, ATI.

-----

Today the PCMCIA network card is being recognized and the modules installed but I get an 'nc connect failed' type of message. It worked yesterday until the kernel crashed. Both times with 3.32, yesterday 2-floppy and today ext2. Connection is to a different desktop computer but both have rtl8139 cards and BL2 with kernel 2.4.31. Network cards frequently do this but usually reinstalling the modules gets them working again. I wanted to copy BL2 via ethernet not parport.