baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3.40 swapfile unknown option dd if=/dev/zero

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3.40 swapfile unknown option dd if=/dev/zero
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 02:58:35 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks for checking dd on your setup. See below.

I booted BL 3.40, and changed to /

(By the way, 'which dd' says it's in /bin (symlink to busybox), just as you
found)

Then I did dd if=/dev/zero of=swapfile bs=1024 count=32k and ran out of
space. ( swapfile was about 28Mb)

So I deleted swapfile and changed the command to something like

dd if=/dev/zero of=swapfile bs=1024 count=20k

and it said something-or-other records in, something bla bla out.

And swapfile was there, about 20Mb ?

All this was while in /

I didn't check the path, but think it's still the original one of 3.40

Thanks,
Sheldon

I tried this on a second computer and got the same result.

I neglected to mention that we have set up both computers with inittab set to 'respawn' vt1 and go directly to X.

Since I prefer to work in console mode, I first switched to vt2 (Ctrl-Alt-2) to try to use dd from /, where it did not work on either computer.

I just tried it on vt1 (in X) and it works there.

/bin is on the path. On this second computer my partner put '.' first.

Odd bug? dd requires being in vt1 and/or /bin to work? Why can't it be found in vt2 when vt1 is in X? Anyone want to check this on a computer where vt1 is not in X, from vt2 / ? Both our setups go straight to X and won't let you get out of it.

The Toshiba sound chip appears to be a Yamaha which is some hybrid of sb and wss. People have suggested ways to use the combination. The 64MB RAM problem is apparently due to my partner adding a 16MB chip to the original onboard 32MB, which must be the wrong sort though the right size, and is
identified as 32MB by linux, which causes crashes. Memtest also thinks it is 32MB added and crashes as soon as it tries to test it. We removed it.