baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3.40 swapfile unknown option dd if=/dev/zero

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3.40 swapfile unknown option dd if=/dev/zero
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 19:34:30 -0800

sindi keesan wrote:

> Odd bug?

Probably, but I don't think that the bug is in busybox. It
might be in your boot-directly-to-X configuration.

> dd requires being in vt1 and/or /bin to work? Why can't it be
> found in vt2 when vt1 is in X? Anyone want to check this on a computer
> where vt1 is not in X, from vt2 / ?

I moved my existing fs.img and unpacked a fresh copy from BL3.40.
After I booted into it, I tried dd from vt1, vt2, and vt3. It works on all
three, equally well. The initial path is /. I configured and started X
and it works in an rxvt started from the menu and an rxvt started
from an existing rxvt (rxvts started in this way do not keep the BL
aliases). So something in your configuration must be odd.

I found a real bug in BL3.40 busybox: cat does not behave
properly if it is fed a directory name instead of a regular file.
Compare the output of 'cat /bin' on BL3.32 and BL3.40. I will see
if the busybox maintainer knows about this. We probably don't
need this to be fixed.

> The Toshiba sound chip appears to be a Yamaha which is some hybrid of sb
> and wss.

This might require the opl3sa2.o module, like my desktop card.

David