baslinux - Re: [BL] /lib/cpp error compiling in BL2 with libc-2.2.5 upgrade

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] /lib/cpp error compiling in BL2 with libc-2.2.5 upgrade
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 02:42:08 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Did you load lynx from a third floppy disk?

Yes.

Did you compile using the 2.4 kernel?

Yes.

Do you know if lynx 2.8.6 needs kernel 2.4 if compiled with glibc?

It does not need 2.4, if you compile dynamically. However, if you
compile statically, it depends on the version of glibc used. The rule
of thumb: If the solibs (of the glibc version that you use to compile it)
work on the target kernel, e.g. 2.2.16 or 2.2.26, then the static binary
will work on the same kernel. So a static binary made with SW91
should work on BL3 or BL2. I don't know if they fixed the networking
bug, though.

Does your lynx work online but not offline with 2.2.16? This is a kernel bug?

You say below that it works with BL3.4 - 2.2.26. A good reason to upgrade the kernel, but Steven's 2.2.26 does not support scsi. And I don't want to download kernel source code for 2.2.26.

I can use your 2.4.31 scsi-usb kernel with everything (except the 2-floppy BLs). I think SW10.2 has all the modules.

The static, stripped binary is 1482KB uncompressed, gzipping it
yields a 707K gz file. Do you want to try it? I think that you
can use your existing lynx.cfg and SSL certificates.

Is it slightly larger than mine, which is 1.27MB statically compiled
against glib 2.1.3, because it is a later version and includes bzip2?

Likely because it is a later version. You can compare the size of
the source archives here:

http://lynx.isc.org/current/

2.8.5:

2177287 Feb 4 2004 lynx2.8.5rel.1.tar.bz2
2984352 Feb 4 2004 lynx2.8.5rel.1.tar.gz
3175700 Feb 4 2004 lynx2.8.5rel.1.zip

2.8.6pre16:

4569407 Dec 18 14:52 lynx2.8.6dev.16.tar.Z
2265192 Dec 18 14:52 lynx2.8.6dev.16.tar.bz2
3152254 Dec 18 14:52 lynx2.8.6dev.16.tar.gz
3357937 Dec 18 14:52 lynx2.8.6dev.16.zip

I don't think that my version includes bzip2.

You said something about a bzip2 version, probably you mean lynx.bz2 (but you posted a gz). The dynamic linuxpackages SW91 version requires the bzip and zlib libraries.

Do lynx.lss and lynx.cfg go in /usr/lib/lynx?

It wants lynx.cfg to go in /usr/local/lib/lynx.cfg. Is that
too inconvenient? I could recompile with a different
location.

Mine is in /usr/lib, the linuxpackages SW91 version in /usr/lib/lynx, and I forget where Slackware put its version, maybe usr/lib/lynx. Your location makes more sense.

I will check and see if I possibly left anything out.

I left out GNU tls, (replacement for SSL that hasn't caught
on) support for any output other than curses, (e.g. slang,
pdcurses) socks, (advanced proxy) and all of this:

--enable-addrlist-page use experimental address-list page
--enable-charset-choice use experimental charset-selection logic
--enable-cjk use experimental CJK logic
--enable-japanese-utf8 use experimental Japanese UTF-8 logic
--enable-color-style use optional/experimental color style
(ncurses/curses)
--enable-default-colors enable use of default-colors (ncurses/slang)
--enable-htmlized-cfg build experimental htmlized lynx.cfg
--enable-ipv6 use experimental ipv6 (with ipv4) support
--enable-kbd-layout use experimental keyboard-layout support
--enable-locale-charset use experimental locale-charset selection logic
Possibly relevant to non-English speaking users, not to be.

--enable-nested-tables use experimental nested-table support
Does this display tables?

--enable-scrollbar use experimental scrollbar, with mouse

--enable-externs use external commands
--enable-font-switch use Linux setfont for character-translation
--enable-cgi-links support cgi links w/o a http daemon
--enable-change-exec allow users to change exec options
--enable-exec-links allow lynx to execute programs accessed via a link
--enable-exec-scripts allow lynx to execute programs inferred from a link
--enable-internal-links handle following links to same doc differently
--enable-nsl-fork fork NSL requests, allowing them to be aborted
--enable-syslog log URL requests via syslog
--enable-underlines underline links rather than using boldface
I don't think either one displays on TTL.
--enable-gzip-help install gzip'ed help files
--with-bzlib use libbz2 for decompression of some bzip2 files
--with-zlib use zlib for decompression of some gzip files

I think my version had zlib and the SW91 version at linuxpackages has both of these. Is this only for compressing things like help files?

Tomorrow I will try booting BL3.4.

I will download it so I can try your lynx with it.

I already tried it. It works.

2.2.26 works where 2.2.16 did not?

Did the full lynx.cfg fit into the first ramdisk and lynx executable go in
/tmp on the second ramdisk?

The second ramdisk in BL3 is /usr/X11R6. I made a third ramdisk
and mounted it in /tmp and then copied lynx there.

You can try my first binary here:

http://us.share.geocities.com/davidjmoberg/lynx.gz

David

Thanks, maybe tomorrow but we are having a linux visitor.
Did you compile ncurses and openssl against uClibc for this static version?