baslinux - Re: [BL] BasicLinux 3.40

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BasicLinux 3.40
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 02:49:39 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

I just installed it to c:\baslin (I had 3.32 in d: already).

startx 15 bit color 800 works fine with Matrox Millenium PCI.

My 84-key keyboard works badly with X - not only don't arrow keys and
delete work, Enter won't even work in MagicPoint (for 'next page').

Can't you use xmodmap to fix this?
Yes, I need to copy over my 84-key file.

Links works, with a mouse (offline anyway).

Pppsetup works.

I don't think Steven touched either of those.

Microcom works with my local bbs! It did not before - maybe the new
kernel helps? I did not use a script but entered all commands manually:

That is very interesting. Perhaps there was a small bug in the serial
port driver of 2.2.16?

Or it could be that my bbs switched last year from a very old SunOS to OpenBSD. It had worked previously with FreeBSD at another bbs.

I ssh'ed from grex to sdf.

The Enter key is acting strangely, just like it does in XP. It puts me to
the start of the line after the FOLLOWING paragraph, and puts a blank line
before it. Is this bad vt100 emulation? Makes it hard to type responses
to the correct line.

Is this before or after you ssh? There are several things that might
be interacting to cause this problem. Can you switch terminal types
using export TERM or the like before you use ssh? Can you then
switch terminal types in sdf? You should try various terminal
settings before giving up on microcom as broken (it could simply
not be passing the terminal type to grex or sdf correctly).

When I dial with microcom to grex it does not ask me if I want terminal vt100, like it usually does. I did not check pine at grex, just sdf. At sdf lynx also did not work right - I have my links numbered and if I typed 15 and Enter, it put me to link 16 and then immediately to the first link of link 16.

I used tset linux at grex, then ssh'ed here to sdf. I don't recall if I was asked about terminal type, but if I was I answered linux.
I will experiment more at grex and sdf.

Does the Enter key behave normally at a shell prompt? You may
be able to tweak your editor to work around this.

I only noticed problems in pine and lynx, but did not take careful notes.

Microcom is not perfect but it is handy having it in BL3.4, which I hope
to soon see in 2-floppy version.

I like it better than minicom... I can't even figure out how minicom
works. And it is much smaller than either minicom or kermit.

They avoided ncurses. (I compiled kermit for BL1/3 without ncurses but it is still quite large because it does much more).

Minicom Ctrl-A gets in the way.

David