baslinux - Re: [BL] /lib/cpp error compiling in BL2 with libc-2.2.5 upgrade

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] /lib/cpp error compiling in BL2 with libc-2.2.5 upgrade
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 17:35:22 -0800

sindi keesan wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, David Moberg wrote:

> > I will probably try to compile a new static MPlayer sometime.
>
> with svgalib support?

OK. But because it is statically compiled, you will need to use
the svgalib that I compile in. I will use SW81 svgalib - would
that work well?

> You could have put seejpeg instead of zgv on the USB boot disk, since that
> is the most common camera format, to leave space for other things.

seejpeg does not work with chipset VGA. Or at least it would not
when I last tried it.

> > There are many other packages - I am currently looking
> > through their list to see if there is anything that I want to
> > try while I have glibc-2.3 installed.
>
> This implies that you have some way of uninstalling it.

mke2fs /dev/hda4

I have nothing important on that partition, so I can just
wipe it off the map and start over when I am done with
this glibc experiment.

> I could not even reinstall glibc-2.2.5.

You may need to boot ramdisk BL2 and use that to
remove glibc-2.3.2, and then reinstall the links to
glibc-2.1. e.g.

ln -s libc-2.1.3.so libc.so.6
ln -s libm-2.1.3.so libm.so.6
ln -s ld-2.1.3.so ld-linux.so.2

> I was thinking of compiling my own shared lynx 2.8.6dev16 but the final
> release should be out eventually, as it has been two years since
> 2.8.5rel1. Should I compile against 2.2.5 so more BL users can use it?

You could try compiling it with 2.1 so that it would work with
BL2 and no libc upgrade. Or perhaps you want to try the
uClibc development system? You can get it at uclibc.org.
The resulting binary would be smaller than static glibc, and
not have the broken networking bug (I think it is only in certain
glibc versions), and work on BL3/1. You could then keep
the uClibc build system around for the next time that you need
a static binary.

David

David