baslinux - Re: [BL] /lib/cpp error compiling in BL2 with libc-2.2.5 upgrade

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] /lib/cpp error compiling in BL2 with libc-2.2.5 upgrade
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:45:18 +0000 (UTC)

I was thinking of compiling my own shared lynx 2.8.6dev16 but the final
release should be out eventually, as it has been two years since
2.8.5rel1. Should I compile against 2.2.5 so more BL users can use it?

You could try compiling it with 2.1 so that it would work with
BL2 and no libc upgrade. Or perhaps you want to try the
uClibc development system? You can get it at uclibc.org.
Do you want to help me when I run into problems with it?

The resulting binary would be smaller than static glibc, and
not have the broken networking bug (I think it is only in certain
glibc versions), and work on BL3/1. You could then keep
the uClibc build system around for the next time that you need
a static binary.

I looked, and there was something about libcrypt not being fully functional. Lynx uses it. And I would have to download 21MB of .bz2 file and compile the static library uClibc.a (?). I hope static libraries do not have dependencies.

I will investigate the glibc network bug. Maybe it is fixed in 2.3.2 and I could compile statically against that. Or maybe you want to tackle lynx and uClibc yourself. How much smaller would the uClibc lynx be than the 2MB static version I compiled? (Which included openssl, ncurses, zlib, and libc).

Can you explain more about that bug? My static lynx worked with 2.2.5
glibcso, I think also with 2.1.3, not online with 2.3.2 or BL3, but it works fine
with 2.3.2 in someone's shared version. Is it the static glibc.a that is the problem, and only works with a matching glibcso on the computer?

David

David