baslinux - Re: [BL] /lib/cpp error compiling in BL2 with libc-2.2.5 upgrade

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] /lib/cpp error compiling in BL2 with libc-2.2.5 upgrade
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 19:42:15 -0800

On 1/13/06, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, David Moberg wrote:
>
> > sindi keesan wrote:
> >
> >> Did you load lynx from a third floppy disk?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> >> Did you compile using the 2.4 kernel?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> >> Do you know if lynx 2.8.6 needs kernel 2.4 if compiled with glibc?
> >
> > It does not need 2.4, if you compile dynamically. However, if you
> > compile statically, it depends on the version of glibc used. The rule
> > of thumb: If the solibs (of the glibc version that you use to compile it)
> > work on the target kernel, e.g. 2.2.16 or 2.2.26, then the static binary
> > will work on the same kernel. So a static binary made with SW91
> > should work on BL3 or BL2. I don't know if they fixed the networking
> > bug, though.
>
> Does your lynx work online but not offline with 2.2.16? This is a kernel
> bug?

uClibc does not seem to behave consistently. My static lynx works both
offline and online with 2.2.16+ (it may work with earlier versions but I have
not tested). But the dynamic uClibc compiled by the uClibc folks seems
to require 2.4 (maybe they compiled it for 2.4 only to save space). And
Stephen's busybox behaves weirdly, even though Steven's works
fine.

The networking bug is glibc2.2 only, when you statically compile and
try to use it without glibc2.2, AFAIK.

> You say below that it works with BL3.4 - 2.2.26. A good reason to upgrade
> the kernel, but Steven's 2.2.26 does not support scsi.

Really? Have you tried the modules with your scsi machine? Or do
you want everything needed to boot with scsi set to 'Y'?

> You said something about a bzip2 version, probably you mean lynx.bz2 (but
> you posted a gz).

I did? I do not remember that.

> > --enable-nested-tables use experimental nested-table support
> Does this display tables?

It appears to be for nested tables, which is when you have a
table inside of a table. I can live without that.

> > --enable-scrollbar use experimental scrollbar, with mouse

This might be interesting.

> > --enable-font-switch use Linux setfont for character-translation

Does setfont work with TTL monitors? I wonder if this would
let you access bold, underline, etc.

> > --enable-cgi-links support cgi links w/o a http daemon

I have no idea what this means. Seems absolutely useless.

> > --enable-change-exec allow users to change exec options

??? I am getting more confused.

> > --enable-exec-links allow lynx to execute programs accessed via a
> link
> > --enable-exec-scripts allow lynx to execute programs inferred from a
> link

These seem like security holes waiting to break.

> > --with-bzlib use libbz2 for decompression of some bzip2 files
> > --with-zlib use zlib for decompression of some gzip files
>
> I think my version had zlib and the SW91 version at linuxpackages has both
> of these. Is this only for compressing things like help files?

It also will apparently work on webpages, if the web designer is foolish
enough to compress their webpages. For reading stuff like MANIFEST.gz
I think wget + less would be a better choice (copy link and use wget -O -
to download to a pipe, then use less to read).

> 2.2.26 works where 2.2.16 did not?

2.2.26 works where 2.2.16 also works. 2.2.26 seems to be rock-solid
so far for me.

> Thanks, maybe tomorrow but we are having a linux visitor.
> Did you compile ncurses and openssl against uClibc for this static
> version?

The uClibc 21MB bzip2 image comes with a static curses or
ncurses. I only had to compile ssl and lynx.

David