baslinux - Re: [BL] /lib/cpp error compiling in BL2 with libc-2.2.5 upgrade

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] /lib/cpp error compiling in BL2 with libc-2.2.5 upgrade
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:37:35 -0800

sindi keesan wrote:
> > > OK. But because it is statically compiled, you will need to use
> > > the svgalib that I compile in. I will use SW81 svgalib - would
> > > that work well?
> >
> > If it is statically compiled, shouldn't ANY svgalib work?

You can have any svgalib installed. But MPlayer will only
be able to use its internal (static) svgalib.

> > Will we still need libvga.config?

Yes, if you want to change video options. Should it look
in /etc/vga for libvga.config or somewhere else (in case
you have an incompatible libvga.config in /etc/vga)?

> > > seejpeg does not work with chipset VGA. Or at least it would not
> > > when I last tried it.
> >
> > I wonder why. I will try that some time.

I think the author left out support for dithering pictures down
to 16 colors, therefore it will only work with higher color depths.

> > > ln -s ld-2.1.3.so ld-linux.so.2
> >
> > Does ldconfig do that automatically?

Oh, yes. I had forgotten that it does do that.

> >> You could try compiling it with 2.1 so that it would work with
> >> BL2 and no libc upgrade. Or perhaps you want to try the
> >> uClibc development system? You can get it at uclibc.org.
> > Do you want to help me when I run into problems with it?

OK.

> >> The resulting binary would be smaller than static glibc, and
> >> not have the broken networking bug (I think it is only in certain
> >> glibc versions), and work on BL3/1. You could then keep
> >> the uClibc build system around for the next time that you need
> >> a static binary.
>
> I looked, and there was something about libcrypt not being fully
> functional. Lynx uses it.

What does it use libcrypt for? libcrypto (note the o) is for SSL...

> And I would have to download 21MB of .bz2 file
> and compile the static library uClibc.a (?).

Where do you see that? The 21MB contains pre-compiled
shared and static libraries, gcc, as, ar, gdb, bash, busybox,
and more.

> I will investigate the glibc network bug. Maybe it is fixed in 2.3.2 and
> I could compile statically against that. Or maybe you want to tackle lynx
> and uClibc yourself.

I am trying it now.

> How much smaller would the uClibc lynx be than the 2MB static version
> I compiled? (Which included openssl, ncurses, zlib,
> and libc).
>

> > Can you explain more about that bug? My static lynx worked with 2.2.5
> glibcso, I think also with 2.1.3, not online with 2.3.2 or BL3, but it works
> fine
> > with 2.3.2 in someone's shared version. Is it the static glibc.a that
> > is the problem, and only works with a matching glibcso on the computer?

I think that it is looking for something in glibcso (not a .so or .a file,
maybe something in /etc??) and will not work without it. I searched
but could not find any information about this problem. I think this has
happened to another BL user.

David