baslinux - Re: [BL] /lib/cpp error compiling in BL2 with libc-2.2.5 upgrade

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] /lib/cpp error compiling in BL2 with libc-2.2.5 upgrade
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 01:25:06 +0000 (UTC)

In what order did you install the two packages glibc.tgz (SW71) and
solibs (SW81)? It appears to me that the compiler will break if I
would have installed SW71 libc-devel first. However, I just installed
SW71 libc-devel on top of SW91 solibs. After installing linuxinc,
I was able to successfully compile busybox-0.60.5 with gcc-2.95.3.

I celebrated too soon. :( The busybox that I compiled has a dependency
upon glibc-2.3.2. Somehow, gcc works with the glibc2.1 headers to
link against non-devel glibc-2.3. So mixing libc versions does not work
for me.

You compiled it on a computer with SW91 solibs and SW71 glibc?
At least it compiled even if it needs SW91 solibs to run.

I installed SW71 glibc, compiled a few things with it, then SW81 solibs in
order to use Opera, and then ar would not work (binutils) and I could not
compile. I tried uninstalling both glibcs and it was still broken and
whatever else I did only made it worse and I had to start from scratch.
I saved the old setup to test sound cards and it does not work with a few
that I had marked working 'as sb' (not actually sb).

Are you suggesting that I uninstall glibc from SW81 then install solibs
from SW91 then reinstall glibc from SW81 (or install from SW91, which is
larger and therefore to be avoided if possible)? Otherwise will solibs
overwrite something important (header files?) in SW81 full glibc?

AFAIK solibs does not contain header files, so there is nothing to
overwrite, except glibc-2.1 solibs.

I wonder if there is any reason (other than size) to not upgrade to
glibc 2.2 or 2.3? make-3.80 won't even build with 2.1, but will with
uClibc or 2.2. And most precompiled software that is available
today is for glibc 2.2 or 2.3.

Can I compile for SW91 solibs (dynamically) if I have that plus an earlier glibc, having first deleted glibc, installed the later solibs, then reinstalled glibc older than the solibs?

I would rather not create this sort of hybrid. So far SW81 glibc/solibs and compiler have worked except for libtiff and fbutils.

glibc-2.3 solibs is only 150k larger than glibc-2.1.
It is the full glibc which is a lot bigger. But if I delete libc*.a it will save a fair amount of space.

David