baslinux - Re: [BL] /lib/cpp error compiling in BL2 with libc-2.2.5 upgrade

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] /lib/cpp error compiling in BL2 with libc-2.2.5 upgrade
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 17:17:02 -0800

sindi keesan wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Jan 2006, David Moberg wrote:
>
> > sindi keesan wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks. I made a real mess of things trying to use SW81 solibs and SW71
> >> full-size libc. Even as stopped working. Try this on an experimental
> >> installation, not something you care about.
> >
> > In what order did you install the two packages glibc.tgz (SW71) and
> > solibs (SW81)? It appears to me that the compiler will break if I
> > would have installed SW71 libc-devel first. However, I just installed
> > SW71 libc-devel on top of SW91 solibs. After installing linuxinc,
> > I was able to successfully compile busybox-0.60.5 with gcc-2.95.3.

I celebrated too soon. :( The busybox that I compiled has a dependency
upon glibc-2.3.2. Somehow, gcc works with the glibc2.1 headers to
link against non-devel glibc-2.3. So mixing libc versions does not work
for me.

> I installed SW71 glibc, compiled a few things with it, then SW81 solibs in
> order to use Opera, and then ar would not work (binutils) and I could not
> compile. I tried uninstalling both glibcs and it was still broken and
> whatever else I did only made it worse and I had to start from scratch.
> I saved the old setup to test sound cards and it does not work with a few
> that I had marked working 'as sb' (not actually sb).
>
> Are you suggesting that I uninstall glibc from SW81 then install solibs
> from SW91 then reinstall glibc from SW81 (or install from SW91, which is
> larger and therefore to be avoided if possible)? Otherwise will solibs
> overwrite something important (header files?) in SW81 full glibc?

AFAIK solibs does not contain header files, so there is nothing to
overwrite, except glibc-2.1 solibs.

I wonder if there is any reason (other than size) to not upgrade to
glibc 2.2 or 2.3? make-3.80 won't even build with 2.1, but will with
uClibc or 2.2. And most precompiled software that is available
today is for glibc 2.2 or 2.3.

glibc-2.3 solibs is only 150k larger than glibc-2.1.

David