baslinux - Re: [BL] /lib/cpp error compiling in BL2 with libc-2.2.5 upgrade

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] /lib/cpp error compiling in BL2 with libc-2.2.5 upgrade
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 16:51:12 -0800

sindi keesan wrote:

> tar -zxvf /cd/slackware/l/libtiff*.tgz usr/lib/libtiff.so.3.5.7
> tar -zxvf /cd/slackware/l/libtiff*.tgz usr/include/tiff*.h

I did not know that tar could handle wildcards like this.

> > cd netpbm-10.31/converter/other/
> > make tifftopnm
> > make pnmtotiff
>
> Thanks, that worked, but at first I got the error message (on exit):
> cannot find -ltiff.so (which I think means it cannot find libtiff.so.3) I
> had told Makefile to look for libtiff.so.3, because there was no
> libtiff.so. I had to create a symlink to libtiff.so and edit Makefile.
>
> ldd says it needs libtiff.so.3 and libjpeg.so.62 but in Makefile I needed
> libtiff.so and libjpeg.so - why?

gcc, for some reason, needs lib*.so. Maybe it's too lazy to ignore the
numbers in the extension.

> Why did it make a lot of /lib/*.h files?

I wonder why it put the .h files in /lib? I would have expected
/include.

> This time I told it not to build static libnetbpm.*.a and it did not, so do
> I need the header files?

Go ahead and delete them.

> I also found it there, but I already have busybox-1.01 on my path instead
> of BL3 busybox, which did not work with your busybox 1.sh script because
> two programs were not fully functional. So I ran the script and now have
> echo. It seems to have made the package without it, anyway.

It just uses echo to tell you that it successfully built the package.

> > If you want BL2 users to not have to upgrade, then build with the SW71
> > libraries.
>
> I can't use the SW81 compiler and binutils with SW71 libraries and I don't
> know how to compile with them if I have glibc 2.1.3 and 2.2.5 on the same
> computer.

I will experiment with SW91 solibs and SW71 full-size libc. First I need
to download compiling libc, it's 20MB, which means I have a long wait.
I will set up a script to connect and download it tonight.

> Would you like a .tgz of all the bin files (1.2MB) and libnetpbm and
> libtiff, libpng, and zlib? (libjpeg has not changed since 1998 - you can
> get it from Slackware 7.1).

The .tgz was bigger than 1.2MB. I think that you can safely remove
/usr/local/bin/netpbmbinlibc6.tgz from netpbm-SW81-full.tgz and cut
its size in half.

> Should tifftopnm still work if I can manage to replace libtiff.so.3.5.7
> with libtiff.so.3.8.0 later?

Yup. It even works with libtiff.so.3.4?? from SW71.

David