baslinux - [BL] LTModem, was Re: /lib/cpp error compiling in BL2 with libc-2.2.5 upgrade

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] LTModem, was Re: /lib/cpp error compiling in BL2 with libc-2.2.5 upgrade
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 04:08:36 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

See Slackware packages (which I am about to upload for 30 minutes):

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/netpbm-SW81-full.tgz (2.6MB)
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/netpbmlibs-SW81.tgz (320K).

I see also netpbm-bl3.tgz, which appears to be a combination of
some earlier libc5 netpbm binaries.

Yes, it is the programs and libnetmp and libtiff and libpng which you compiled. Without the libc and libm and ldlinux for BL2 - a combination of netpbmbl and netpbm3, which I will delete soon along with netpbm2, when I edit my file description blfiles.htm. Netpbmdocs stays.

I tried my LTmodem (see previous thread) with BL2. I only had
a few problems. I used BL3 to unzip, since BL2 does not have
unzip. The first problem I had was that because I used ramdisk
BL2, there was no room to put the ltmodem.o module in /lib. I
had to put it in /tmp and insert it from there.

The second problem was that ppp-on failed to insert my ppp.o
module. I had to insert it manually and put insmod -f ppp into

Can you rewrite ppp-on with -f, and replace some of the modules in the 2-floppy ramdisk with what you actually use, and save the new image file? I did that to preserve my settings.

/etc/rc. After that, I was able to connect to my ISP (status.0
said "CONNECT 46666 V42bis") and eventually to your BL
download site.

Do you get a better download speed with other modems? I generally get at least 49K connect with a 56K modem.

With links and the LTmodem, I downloaded the
netpbm-SW81-full.tgz in ~14 minutes, maximum 4.8 kB/s,
average 3.1.

That is pretty good, from sdf, which tends to download slowly.

I have discovered that ftp uploads are a steady 3.1K, while kermit file transfer is very unsteady and stall a lot, averaging 1.5K. More errors than transmitted blocks. Maybe less than 30 window slots would help?
Uploading that same file took me about 30 minutes.

I downloaded netpbm-SW81-full.tgz to /tmp and tried to run
asciitopbm. Of course, it didn't work with the SW71 libc.

Did you get it to work properly? I recall something in it not working quite right, even after a bug was fixed. Try any switches.

After rebooting to my hdd partition installation of BL2 (with
glibc2.3.2 already installed) I was able to use several
different netpbm programs.

The former is all the netpbm programs plus libnetpbm.10.31, statically
compiled to require glibc-2.2.5 (SW81),

# file /usr/local/bin/pnmtopng
/usr/local/bin/pnmtopng: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1,
dyna
mically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
There was a way to compile not stripped (with information left in the binary).

and the packages in the latter, which also require 2.2.5.

Instead of the latter, you can use libtiff from SW71, and also symlink
the SW71 libpng.so.2 to libpng.so.3. This worked with pbmupc and
pnmtopng to create a png of a bar code. It also worked with pnmtotiff.
Other, non-netpbm libpng programs might break with this symlink,
caveat emptor.

I tried to use the latest image libraries because they may have come up with new formats or fixed bugs. One of my programs (links2?) needs libpng.so.2 so I deleted the older libpng and made a symlink to libpng.so.3 (the opposite of what you suggest). Why not just install my package of dependencies?

What is upc?

glibc-2.2.5 from SW81 can be installed into BL2 (you can delete
lib/*-2.1.3*) or BL3 (it coexists with libc5 but will complicate
compiling for libc5).

And it will also cause problems if you want to use a library e.g.
libX11.so.6 with both libc5 and 6.

How would you go about converting BL3 to just libc6? Many of Steven's programs are statically compiled but not all.

Other programs may not work, let me know.

Everything works perfectly, many thanks. This will be useful
for when I need to decode multipage tiffs and whatever else
this latest version can decode.

Thank YOU, it would not exist without your help and with luck I can now use my setup to compile other things. C++ appears to still be a problem and will remain so unless I want to upgrade that compiler, which if I had to upgrade glibc would take even more space. Or can you compile gcc-g++ against uClibc?

I want to make a smaller package including only the files that I had in the libc5 package (plus pnmtolj for color printing). If I have all the libc5 files that I want in /netpbm-libc5 and want to copy selected libc6 programs of the same name, currently in /netpbm-libc6,, can I do this with a script?

for i in `ls netpbm-libc6/*` do .... cp -a ...
???