baslinux - Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 08:13:05 +1100

Hi Folks,

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 14:39:24 -0800
David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a Kodak camera which requires gphoto, which
> provides its own driver (which should work with Steven's
> kernel. I haven't tested it yet.)

My camera is also a Kodak - EasyShare C300.

> You can try my 2.4.31 kernel, which I just uploaded. You need:
>
> PC with working math coprocessor and USB
> ext2 IDE hard drive partition with some version of BL installed
> (not loop or ramdisk)
>
> http://us.share.geocities.com/davidjmoberg/zimage-usb.gz
>
> Boot BL with the 2.4 kernel. Plug in camera. Then try to mount
> the camera:
>
> mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
>
> You can then copy the pictures from your camera to disk and
> reboot with your usual kernel to send the pictures somewhere
> else.
>
> Please let us know if it works!

I certainly will, I just downloaded your kernel and I will play with it
today.

I did manage to get the test photos off the camera yesterday, but not with
BL.
A Google Linux search for the camera revealed that this camera uses a PTP
protocol (developed by Kodak and others) but is amenable to gphoto2.
Accordingly, I downloaded and compiled (in SW9.1) libgphoto2, gphoto2 and
gtkam, and was able to access the photos (but not the movies) from SW9.1.

Here's hoping that David's kernel makes it all a lot simpler.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke