baslinux - Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 14:12:05 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005, David Moberg wrote:

On 11/17/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
I have no idea how to use a USB mouse in linux but will try ours if
someone explains how.

Here is what works for me with 2.2.26:

insmod usbcore
insmod usb-uhci
insmod input
insmod usbmouse
insmod mousedev
mkdir /dev/input/
mknod c 13 32 /dev/input/mouse0
ln -sf /dev/input/mouse0 /dev/mouse
startx

If you have a wheel mouse, you may need to move the wheel
up and down to get it to work properly. Some interaction
between the mouse driver and mouse.

Will the wheel mouse also work with gpm? My partner liked pasting between terminals with it.

We have several wheel mice, PS/2 or USB-with-PS2-adaptor and I was unable to get them (I may have only tried one) to work with the wheel even as PS/2. Does BL support wheel mice?

I did not try the camera because you said
usb-storage did not work right, but I will try tomorrow if you want.

Stephen says that USB storage works for him. Can you try it
with an ohci?

I tried it with an ohci and all the modules inserted, but it did not find the camera or the card reader (with CF card) that both worked in DOS and with your newer kernel. It might work with certain kinds of usb storage devices but not these. I did not get the complaint about finding a device that was not assigned to any active driver because of unrecognized id's.

If you like, I can repeat the experiment and post the exact results, but they did not seem promising.

linux-usb.org says that mass storage does not work in 2.2.26.

But someone said it worked with their iPod.

Why would they include the module if it does not work at all?
I read something about backporting from 2.4.

Maybe the libvga and libvgagl from SW91 will fix svgalib in BL2,

They will.

Okay, I will install the svgalib package from SW91.

SW81 svgalib might be more convenient.
I have not done that yet but hope it will also work better with the newer graphics cards.

but zgv for BL3 is statically compiled and would need to be replaced.

Is there a dynamic zgv for libc5? Or a dynamic seejpeg? Doesn't SW4
have one?

Yes for seejpeg. I don't know about zgv. Why is the static version not
working with the 2.4.31 kernel?

I don't know which static version you are talking about, but I think it is
because the old vgalib code is statically compiled in. This code does
not like 2.2.26 or 2.4.31.

I think Steven may have compiled zgv a few years ago. Would he have used code from SW3.x or 4.0 rather than recent source code?

If you compiled zgv statically with the latest vgalib code would it work with kernel 2.2.26 and 2.4.31? Then people would not need svgalib at all with your newer kernel, just to look at photos. (It would still be needed for the delilinux links2). I don't know if uClibc would cause problems.

I should have asked how often you need to transfer pictures. Would
you really need to use X/sound at the same time?

Not if I can get svgalib/zgv working so I can check that the photos are
really there and not corrupted before I delete them from the camera.

OK.

Do you want to statically compile a later zgv? I should probably upgrade svgalib anyway to work with newer graphics cards.

David, could you try out any kernel you compile to make
sure it works with Xvesa from BL3?

It will work if networking is set to Y.

The minimal kernel will be handy if it can be put onto a 2-floppy BL3
set to use on other people's computers.

But you would need to repartition.

I was thinking of booting BL3 from floppy disks (with lilo) and using it to download photos. But DOS is working just as well, from a single boot disk with space for a viewer and even a few low-res photos.

Does your kernel mount DOS and Windows file systems?

I included vfat support, because that is what most cameras use.
So, 'yes'.

With BL3 kernels and the framebuffer kernel you made, I have to
mount -t msdos /dev/..... but with BL2 I don't need to specify the file type. Why? I forgot what your new kernel requires.

David