baslinux - Re: [BL] USB mass storage with SW81. kernel

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB mass storage with SW81. kernel
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 16:07:30 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, James Miller wrote:

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

were other scsi devices). But I think James is probably right that I
should have done sudo mount /dev/sda1 like he suggested in the first
place, to mount it in the right place under /mnt. We have not checked
the camera to see whether the files were messed up. I should have had the
sense to copy them off it with DOS first. But it is the 4MB disk without
much on it, we had that much sense at least.

That's sudo mount /mnt/sda1 (not /dev/sda1, which will give an error).
Here's some background that may help understand why. If the camera
presents itself to the computer as a mass-storage device, and you have it
hooked to the computer and powered on when you boot DSL, DSL will detect
it, create a mount point AND put an entry into /etc/fstab for you. Since
both the device file (likely /dev/sda1) AND the mount point are specified
in /etc/fstab, you only need to tell the system to mount the mount point
(/mnt/sda1): it already knows where to find the device file to mount
there.

James

Trying again, but last time I had problems even beforee mounting.

DSL insmodded usbcore and usb-uhci

sudo modprobe usb-storage

Produced about 10 lines of messages about
usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 2, frame# (variable number)
usb bulk control timeout
Five more of these lines with status 3 this time and a timeout after the third followed by a prompt.

I hit Enter and got a prompt.

I tried to mount /dev/sda1 (this is wrong) and it crashed.

I am rebooting (BL boots much faster).

sudo mount /mnt/sda1 gives me an error message saying something about not finding /mnt/sda1 in /etc/fstab

fstab has a line about
/dev/sda1 /mnt/usbdrive auto user,mount/exec,umask-000 00

less /etc/fstab crashed DSL

I think usb-storage is causing the problem, not mount.
I got a crash another time by typing ps after modprobing usb-storage.

One time I tried, without insmodding usb-storage:
sudo mount /dev/sda1

It did not crash. But it said READ CAPACITY failed and No medium found (because I did not have the usb-storage driver loaded, of course).

This time I first used the DOS USB driver to copy all the photos to hard drive before playing with linux.

I have the camera set to PC and turned on before booting.

This camera does not seem to work with usb-storage.

I can try the other camera with an empty CF card, but we don't even know how to use that one with DOS USB drivers.

I need to read more about USB drivers for cameras.