baslinux - Re: [BL] USB mass storage with SW81. kernel

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB mass storage with SW81. kernel
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 16:36:48 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, James Miller wrote:

Coupla things. You are using lsmod to see what modules are loaded?
Depending on the machine, ohci instead of uhci may be needed. I seem to

DSL automatically chose uhci for this camera. I will try (some time)
adding ohci in addition or instead.

This is a 300MHz computer, one of the first to include USB (1998) so maybe
it is 'older'. Would DSL not know which one to pick?

It is a Gateway with an Intel processor. I found a site that said uhci is used by Intel, PIIX4, VIA etc. and ohci by Compaq (this is our other USB computer to try next), OPTi, SiS, ALi, etc.

I presume usb.s kernel is for when you also have a scsi card and real scsi devices.

I will try the Compaq some time with the USB camera in case it is a hardware problem. With DSL to see if it finds it as ohci.