baslinux - Re: [BL] SVGA X server and Tseng PCI card, was Re: Abiword in Bl2 was Re: dosemu? wp51?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] SVGA X server and Tseng PCI card, was Re: Abiword in Bl2 was Re: dosemu? wp51?
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 14:41:14 +0000 (UTC)

Abiword won't work in BL2 with my Tseng card because I can't get an X server to work with it. Xvesa won't work with xset. So I tried xfbdev and got a different error message:
Gdk-ERROR:**; BadValue serial 7 error_code 2 request_code 51 minor_cde 0

This is some sort of X error.

When I tried to switch between terminals (and monitors) xfbdev got screwed up (black border around the rxvt, nothing at the bottom where icewm is supposed to be) and I could not even get back to vt1 (TTL) which I can do when Xvesa screws up.

So this card does not work well with any form of X, in BL2.

whatvga also crashes (in DOS) but I can reboot.

BL3 Xvesa has so far not had problems. So if I wanted to use this card, it should probably be on a base of BL3 with glibc added in order to use xpdf and opera and the lynx that I compiled.

It is easier just to change to an S3 Trio64 card and forget about framebuffer and 100 columns, and some day try this card in another computer which does not have an MGA card. (Or try pulling the MGA card out of here as an experiment).

Forget it about compiling xset for BL2 - too many crashes with Xvesa.