baslinux - [BL] xvidtune and Tseng ET6000

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] xvidtune and Tseng ET6000
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 13:51:13 +0000 (UTC)

I have been unable to get Abiword working with BL2 and one of my two Tseng video cards because it uses xset, xset won't work with Xvesa, there is some other problem trying to use abiword with xfbdev (bad crash results), and the SVGA X server won't display with this video card (at least not with an MGA card in the same computer).

So I want to experiment with changing modelines, which fixed the problem on a laptop with wd card.

I can't get xvidtune to work.

I did not install all of xbin.tgz, just the parts I need for Xvesa and a few other programs.

I copied the executable from xbin.tgz, and also Xvidtune to the proper directory in /var/X11R6.... (before this it said to install the program before using it). I have all the dependencies for xvidtune (I used ldd).

My current error message when I try to run xvidtune:

Xlib: extension "XFree86-VidModeExtension" missing on display ":0.0".
Unable to query video extension version.

From the man page for xvidtune: "Xvidtune is a client interface to the
XFree86 X server video mode extension (XFree86-VidModeExtension)."

I searched on this error message and found references to Quake and OpenGL. Also something about xvidtune working with this extension which is included in the 3.3.2 servers.

Is Xvesa one of the 3.3.2 servers and if not, maybe it is simply missing this extension and can't be used with xvidtune.

(What is a video extension?)

Has anyone used xvidtune with BL3? (You should be able to just install xbin.tgz to try it). With the delilinux Xvesa and BL2? Does it even work with regular BL2 and the VGA server? (I never installed that, just picked out the pieces from xbin.tgz etc. needed to make delilinux Xvesa work).

If xvidtune won't work with Xvesa and Tseng won't work with a standard X server, how on earth am I supposed to determine the modelines and syncs to get it to work with a standard X server?

I don't expect xfbdev to work any better.