baslinux - Re: [BL] USB mass storage with SW81. kernel

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB mass storage with SW81. kernel
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 11:11:05 -0700

DSL seems to be very unstable. You should probably stick
with BL for now.

> (This next part is about BL2 with SW81 kernel).
>>> I insmodded usbcore and got some message about devices that I forgot to
>>> copy down.

It would help greatly if this message can be deciphered.

> I did a bunch of web research this morning and noticed a list of modules
> in an appendix at the Camera HOWTO site that included scsi_mod and sd_mod
> (one or both was needed for usb-storage). The usb.i (and bare.i and
> usb.s) kernels were all configured with scsi support YES and block devices
> idescsi and sd MODULE. It looks like I should have insmodded sd_mod (not
> scsi_mod, it is in the kernel already) before usb-storage.

Yes. usb-storage should not insert until those are both either set to
Y or inserted.

> scsi_mod is needed by sd_mod which is needed by usb-storage

Yes.

> usbcore is needed by usb-uhci which is needed by usb-storage

No. You can insert the host controller module any time after usbcore
is inserted (even after usb-storage). usb-storage does not depend on
any particular host controller module until you insert one.

> So I need to also insmod the sd_mod from SW8.1 before insmod usb-storage.

If sd_mod is set to M instead of Y. And usb-storage is set to M.

> This still does not explain why the segfault on usb-uhci.

Was that in BL2? That is some kind of bug. Try a different version
of insmod.

> Mandrake 9.1 uses something similar for an MP3 player: scsi_mod, sd_mod,
> usbcore, usbserial (instead of usb_uhci)

usbserial is not a replacement for usb-uhci. It is for USB serial devices.

David