baslinux - Re: [BL] USB mass storage with SW81. kernel

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB mass storage with SW81. kernel
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 16:17:29 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, James Miller wrote:

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

were other scsi devices). But I think James is probably right that I
should have done sudo mount /dev/sda1 like he suggested in the first
place, to mount it in the right place under /mnt. We have not checked
the camera to see whether the files were messed up. I should have had the
sense to copy them off it with DOS first. But it is the 4MB disk without
much on it, we had that much sense at least.

That's sudo mount /mnt/sda1 (not /dev/sda1, which will give an error).
Here's some background that may help understand why. If the camera
presents itself to the computer as a mass-storage device, and you have it
hooked to the computer and powered on when you boot DSL, DSL will detect
it, create a mount point AND put an entry into /etc/fstab for you. Since
both the device file (likely /dev/sda1) AND the mount point are specified
in /etc/fstab, you only need to tell the system to mount the mount point
(/mnt/sda1): it already knows where to find the device file to mount
there.

James

Since /etc/fstab contains a line starting in
/dev/sda1 /mnt/usbdrive

might I want to
sudo mount /mnt/usbdrive

rather than /mnt/sda1 ?

But usb-storage seems to be causing problems and causing anything done afterwards to crash.

This requires scsi_mod and sd_mod but doesn't modprobe take care of this?

Does DSL actually have any scsi (emulation) support?

I found some other site about USB and linux suggesting I used dc-2xx (driver? program?) for the HP Photosmart.

I will try BL2 again some time with sd_mod before usb-storage.