baslinux - Re: [BL] USB mass storage with SW81. kernel

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB mass storage with SW81. kernel
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:51:06 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, David Moberg wrote:

On 10/20/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
We have two USB cameras that take CF cards and a USB reader for an SM card
for a third camera.

<snip>

DSL let me insmod. So I did:
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
And it crashed to the point where it would not reboot.

Did you hard reboot and try a different partition name? I have had that happen
to me, either due to using the wrong host controller driver (shouldn't be an
issue here) or trying to mount the wrong partition. Try /dev/sda.

The USB Camera Howto said it would probably be sda1 (or sdb1 etc if there were other scsi devices). But I think James is probably right that I should have done sudo mount /dev/sda1 like he suggested in the first place, to mount it in the right place under /mnt. We have not checked the camera to see whether the files were messed up. I should have had the sense to copy them off it with DOS first. But it is the 4MB disk without much on it, we had that much sense at least.

We should not do these things late at night.

(This next part is about BL2 with SW81 kernel).
I insmodded usbcore and got some message about devices that I forgot to
copy down.

Can you modprobe it instead? This is probably a missing module problem. I
do not know which one you need.

I don't have modprobe - it seems to be against the rules of the game.

I did a bunch of web research this morning and noticed a list of modules in an appendix at the Camera HOWTO site that included scsi_mod and sd_mod (one or both was needed for usb-storage). The usb.i (and bare.i and usb.s) kernels were all configured with scsi support YES and block devices idescsi and sd MODULE. It looks like I should have insmodded sd_mod (not scsi_mod, it is in the kernel already) before usb-storage.

scsi_mod is needed by sd_mod which is needed by usb-storage
usbcore is needed by usb-uhci which is needed by usb-storage

So I need to also insmod the sd_mod from SW8.1 before insmod usb-storage.

This still does not explain why the segfault on usb-uhci.

Mandrake 9.1 uses something similar for an MP3 player: scsi_mod, sd_mod, usbcore, usbserial (instead of usb_uhci) and usb-storage.

Do I need a /dev/usb?

No.

I insmodded usb-uhci and got a longer error message with a lot of numbers
in it and ending in Segmentation fault.

Are you using the right kernel? insmod should not segfault unless there is a
kernel/module mismatch.

usb.i kernel from SW81. I put three usb modules from the big package into: /lib/modules/2.4.10/misc. Is this the correct way to use two kernels with two sets of modules?

Where in SW81 (or on the web) can I find the dependencies for those modules?

This computer is one of the three or so that won't run loop linux. We
have one or two other USB desktop computers here we could try instead that
have their own idiosyncracies.

It would be best if you did not have bad hardware to compound the problems
that are inherent with USB.

All of our hardware has some problem or other, that is why we have it, or it is so old there is no USB. I have two ISA USB cards but I have filled most or all ISA slots with MGA and SCSI and I/O and AWE32 cards.

I will try again first with DSL and mount /dev/sda1.

The CF card is accessible via pcmcia adaptor but not on most desktops.

CF is just PCMCIA with a slightly different pin count.

I can look online for a Smartmedia PCMCIA adaptor, but we can't use that on desktops at friends' houses. And XP could not handle two of our cameras and it messed up the third one.

I suppose we can email people the photos later instead.

David