baslinux - Re: [BL] USB mass storage with SW81. kernel

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB mass storage with SW81. kernel
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:40:25 -0700

On 10/20/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> We have two USB cameras that take CF cards and a USB reader for an SM card
> for a third camera.

<snip>

> DSL let me insmod. So I did:
> sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
> And it crashed to the point where it would not reboot.

Did you hard reboot and try a different partition name? I have had that happen
to me, either due to using the wrong host controller driver (shouldn't be an
issue here) or trying to mount the wrong partition. Try /dev/sda.

> I insmodded usbcore and got some message about devices that I forgot to
> copy down.

Can you modprobe it instead? This is probably a missing module problem. I
do not know which one you need.

> Do I need a /dev/usb?

No.

> I insmodded usb-uhci and got a longer error message with a lot of numbers
> in it and ending in Segmentation fault.

Are you using the right kernel? insmod should not segfault unless there is a
kernel/module mismatch.

> This computer is one of the three or so that won't run loop linux. We
> have one or two other USB desktop computers here we could try instead that
> have their own idiosyncracies.

It would be best if you did not have bad hardware to compound the problems
that are inherent with USB.

> The CF card is accessible via pcmcia adaptor but not on most desktops.

CF is just PCMCIA with a slightly different pin count.

David