baslinux - [BL] USB mass storage with SW81. kernel

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] USB mass storage with SW81. kernel
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 02:57:05 +0000 (UTC)

We have two USB cameras that take CF cards and a USB reader for an SM card for a third camera.

The first camera works in DOS with some .sys files in config.sys on all our desktop computers and on one of the two laptops. The second laptop works (in DamnSL) with USB mouse but in DOS it says it can't find the relevant device. Someone said the DOS USB drivers are a hack job not guaranteed to work on all hardware.

The other camera and the USB reader don't work with that DOS setup, so we want to make things work in linux. (Win XP sort of worked with the first but filled up the card with a lot of large files - some black images and some 0 length).

I tried using DamnSmallLinux. It finds the USB device and insmod's usbcore and usb-uhci. I insmodded usb-storage as suggested by other list members: sudo insmod usb-storage.

Then I made a guess that the drive was sda1 (as suggested by other list members, I think). In DOS it uses a scsi .sys file, and I have no other scsi-like devices on the computer (but it does have a zip drive and a pcmcia-card controller).

DSL let me insmod. So I did:
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
And it crashed to the point where it would not reboot.

Having made this much progress I copied over the usb.i kernel from SW81 and booted with it, and went hunting for the USB modules.

SW81 has one 7.6MB file of all the kernel modules so I had to untar the whole thing to hard drive (I forgot how to extract just a few files and can't understand much of man pages and besides the BL2 tar was relatively incomplete when I tried once to tar just a selection of files together) and I copied them out of their various subdirectories all to /lib/modules/2.4.18/misc (on the example of BL2 - all in misc instead of in sub-sub-sub-directories as in the package) which seemed to work after I gunzipped the files.

I insmodded usbcore and got some message about devices that I forgot to copy down. Do I need a /dev/usb? I can look for it in DSL.

I insmodded usb-uhci and got a longer error message with a lot of numbers in it and ending in Segmentation fault. Maybe because it uses usbcore which was not properly insmodded?

I insmodded usb-storage and it did not complain. It also uses usbcore.

I was, not surprisingly, unable to mount /dev/sda1 /mnt.

I forget what exactly happened. It may have crashed, anyway, we decided it was time to give up and crash too.

This computer is one of the three or so that won't run loop linux. We have one or two other USB desktop computers here we could try instead that have their own idiosyncracies.

But did I do anything obviously wrong above?

Has anyone on the list used BL with the 2.4.18 kernel and modules to download photos from a USB camera or card reader?

The CF card is accessible via pcmcia adaptor but not on most desktops.