baslinux - Re: [BL] xvidtune and Tseng ET6000

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] xvidtune and Tseng ET6000
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:46:14 -0700

On 10/20/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> My current error message when I try to run xvidtune:
>
> Xlib: extension "XFree86-VidModeExtension" missing on display ":0.0".
> Unable to query video extension version.
>
> >From the man page for xvidtune: "Xvidtune is a client interface to the
> XFree86 X server video mode extension (XFree86-VidModeExtension)."
>
> I searched on this error message and found references to Quake and OpenGL.

Used to change resolutions for full-screen game playing.

> Also something about xvidtune working with this extension which is
> included in the 3.3.2 servers.
>
> Is Xvesa one of the 3.3.2 servers

It is not a standard X server. It also did not come from XFree 3.x.

> and if not, maybe it is simply missing this extension and can't be used
> with xvidtune.

That is correct.

> (What is a video extension?)

In XFree86, it's something that XFree86 has provided in addition to the
regular X server functions. They let you do all kinds of things. 3D, gamma
changing, screen blanking...

> If xvidtune won't work with Xvesa and Tseng won't work with a standard X
> server, how on earth am I supposed to determine the modelines and syncs to
> get it to work with a standard X server?

Are you sure that it is the modelines which are the problem? Maybe X just
won't work with it. Standard modelines are supposed to work with all normal
video cards.

Can you get a regular X server to ask the graphics card what dot clock rates
it supports? (I don't remember what option to use)

> I don't expect xfbdev to work any better.

You are probably correct.

David