baslinux - Re: [BL] X problem (as usual)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X problem (as usual)
  • Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 16:48:56 +0000 (UTC)

Zgv for delilinux requires the Slackware 7.1 glibc-solibs 2.1.3 (whatever
the exact name is, it is about 1.3M, or you can use the SW8.1
glibc-solibs instead, which lets you use some other precompiled programs
such as xpdf) and also several other libraries, all found in elflibs.tgz.
libvgagl.so.1 52K
libvga.so.1 275K
libjpeg.so.6.2 127K
libpng.so.2 170K
libtiff.so.3 180K
libz.so.1q 62K
(and the usual libraries from glibc).

elflibs.tgz contains many other libraries that you don't need such as
libslang and librle and libreadline, but they are not all that large and
might be useful later.

Links2 from delilinux needs the SW7.1 glibc so package and the above
libraries, so if you are going to install zgv from delilinux it is not
much extra time and space to get and install links2 from delilinux.

Is there also a zgv compiled for BL3 which does not need the SW71 glibc?

I ran across a libc5 zgv for redhat. Is there an rpm to tgz convertor for Slackware 4.0/BL3? Or would David or someone want to compile a STATIC zgv (including all the image libraries but not libc or libm) for use with BL3 on computers with low RAM or problems with X? And/or a links2 for libc5 that works with svgalib instead of or in addition to X?

Dosemu might work with DOS viewers like pictview on the Compaq that does not do Xvesa. It is a bit confusing at first, and you need to add bash before installing, and pick the correct version. (I can look up what we used).

I should repeat here that our later 486 Compaq does NOT work with zgv or seejpeg or links2 in svgalib mode. But I think the earlier one does.