baslinux - Re: [BL] Booting HD installation with loadlin

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Booting HD installation with loadlin
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:47:47 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Jason Chall wrote:

> So I managed to get BL3 installed on my 80 GB HD. However since the BIOS
> doesn't recognize the HD I can't boot directly from it. I can boot the HD
> fine from a the BL3 floppy, but I don't want to have that attached for the
> final installation. I have an 8 MB Solid State Disk but I can't get Linux to
> recognize that but I have DOS installed on it. I can get loadlin to start

I'm still not quite certain what a "solid state disk" is. Can you explain?
Is it hooked to an IDE cable on one of the 2 onboard IDE slots? Have you
examined dmesg output for all references to hard drives in order to
confirm that BL is not seeing it? (dmesg |more). If it presents itself as
a scsi disk, then BL would not be able to deal with it without loading
some module(s). But if it's IDE, BL should be able to see it and use it.

> linux on the HD using the zimage from the /boot directory on the HD but for
> some reason it asks me to "Insert floppy disk for loading into RAMDISK" If i
> just hit enter with nothing in the floppy drive it finishes booting no
> problem. How can I boot with loadlin without having any user intervention.

Not sure what the problem is here with this message about the floppy, but
I haven't been following this thread too closely. To make loadlin boot BL
without user intervention you'd simply create an autoexec.bat file that
calls loadlin (with relevant info about the kernel and root filesystem
location) or boot.bat. Or you could create a timeout menu that
automatically calls boot.bat or loadlin after a certain idle time. Check
list archives for info on the latter: I'm sure I posted on that in the
last year or two.

James