baslinux - RE: [BL] Booting HD installation with loadlin

  • From: "Jason Chall" <shaggychall AT yahoo.com>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [BL] Booting HD installation with loadlin
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 14:28:20 -0500

You are right I have essentially hybridized the two versions. I installed
the 2 floppy version to the 80GB HD and then I put loadlin on the 8MB SSD
(to explain this is some sort of solid state memory in an eprom style form
factor which plugs into a socket designed for this). I tried several
different command lines with loadlin since it seemed to be loadlin, not the
kernel, that was asking for the ramdisk floppy. I just put something similar
to the following in the autoexec.bat of the SSD: loadlin zimage -v
root=/dev/hda1 rw I even tried setting some parameters like
prompt_ramdisk=0 and load_ramdisk=0 with no success. Is there anyway to
bypass this message? Why does loadlin expect a ramdisk floppy. Does anyone
have a copy of their hd.bat they could send me. Could I install the HD loop
file version onto my 420MB HD and then use the install-to-hd command to
install BL onto my 80GB drive but invoke loadlin from the SSD and remove the
420MB altogether? But perhaps if someone can send me there hd.bat I can make
it work without all that hassle. And for those of you wondering why in the
world I would want to attach an 80GB drive to an old 486: I'm building a
Network Attached Storage device. The HD will actually go in a fire proof
safe.

Thanks,
Jason