baslinux - Re: [BL] Booting HD installation with loadlin

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Booting HD installation with loadlin
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 17:21:29 +1300

Jason Chall wrote:

> My target is definately hda

That can't be the target. It needs to be a
partition. /dev/hda is not a partition.

> More evidence that hda is the hard drive,

/dev/hda is indeed the hard drive, but it is not
a partition.

> linux calls it such when the kernel is booting,

When? What does it say?

> plus if I boot from the BL floppy and I use CTRL
> to specify hd root=/dev/hda1 it boots with no
> complaints.

Ah (a light dawns). Did you by any chance format
the harddrive using DrDOS? I believe DrDOS puts
bootable DOS on /dev/hda4 (for no decernible reason).

When you do "fdisk -l" inside BL3, what does it say?

> LINUX won't recognize SSD

Have you tried the bare.i kernel (bzimage) from
Slackware 7.1? Some capabilities are missing from
the default BL3 kernel (to keep it small). The
Slackware kernel might see your SSD drive and make
things a bit easier for you.