baslinux - Re: [BL] Booting HD installation with loadlin

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Booting HD installation with loadlin
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:37:06 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Jason Chall wrote:

So I managed to get BL3 installed on my 80 GB HD. However since the BIOS
Why do you want to use an 80GB HD in your 486 with BL3? BL3 does not need more than 100th that much space - 100MB would be overkill unless you really plan to add a lot of programs to it. You said you had another old hard drive (420MB?) which would make things much easier.

doesn't recognize the HD I can't boot directly from it. I can boot the HD
fine from a the BL3 floppy, but I don't want to have that attached for the
final installation. I have an 8 MB Solid State Disk but I can't get Linux to
recognize that but I have DOS installed on it. I can get loadlin to start
linux on the HD using the zimage from the /boot directory on the HD but for
some reason it asks me to "Insert floppy disk for loading into RAMDISK" If i

You are using the wrong .bat file to boot BL3 from with loadlin. You should not be asked about floppy disks or RAMDISKs. Where, and on which drive (do you still have the 85MB drive), did you put zimage? If you use loadlin it is supposed to be in a 'baslin' directory with zimage, and if you installed BL3 to HD from the loop version of BL3 in the baslin directory, it should have created a hd.bat file in baslin. Go to baslin and type hd to boot the hard drive BL3.

If you put zimage in /boot directory, this may mean you are booting not with loadlin but with lilo and that you installed the OTHER version of BL3 - the 2-floppy version that uses lilo and installs to HD with lilo.
The 2-floppy version uses ramdisk.

Please reiterate the details of what you did to get BL3 on the 80GB drive - which zip file did you download for BL3? Did you install it from a version on the hard drive, or on two floppy disks?

I suspect you have hybridized the two versions.

just hit enter with nothing in the floppy drive it finishes booting no
problem. How can I boot with loadlin without having any user intervention.

By no user intervention, do you mean you want to boot into BL3 every time you turn on the computer, or you want to boot into DOS and then type 'boot' or 'hd' or the like and boot into linux without having to hit Enter?

Thanks,
Jason