baslinux - Re: [BL] Can I make my own scsi kernel?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Can I make my own scsi kernel?
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 23:37:49 +0000 (UTC)

Do I need (in order to have sda4 as a block device):
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

I was just given another known working Adaptec pci scsi card that uses aic7xxx.o, and a known working zip drive (works in DOS on this card).
And a different cable because the Iomega drive normally uses the 25D type and this card is small-connector scsi.

If I boot with the zipslack.s or aix7xxx.s kernel, it recognizes the card and the zip drive (plugged in, with disk in it) and then all I need to do is mkdir /zip and mount /dev/sda4 /zip (no need for iw unless I want to format the disk). I could cp gs850.tgz /zip and will take my 5MB file to another address this way instead of using a laptop computer.

But if I boot with the BL2 kernel then insmod scsi_mod sr_mod sg and aic7xxx (with drive plugged in etc.) I don't get any message about finding sda4, and if i try to mount it 'The kernel does not recognize /dev/sda4 as a block device (maybe 'insmod driver'?).

Nor could I get the scsi scanner working this way, with scsi modules and scanimage, though it worked with a scsi kernel.

What would I need to change in the BL2 kernel .config to produce a kernel that works with this scsi card? Or what else would I need to do to use the BL2 kernel, besides load the above four modules? Am I missing some driver? Do I need ppa.o? I thought that was only for parallel port zip drives. If I try to insmod it I get 'Device or resource busy' which I think means I don't have that device. This is a 100MB drive (not imm). The Zip drive HOWTO assumes you are going to be recompiling the kernel,
not using modules. Can it be done with the BL2 kernel and modules?

Steven, I would really appreciate if you could take a quick look at my previous question about kernel configuration before I try to actually compile for my pentium desktops (with sound support etc.). In the case of compiling for an old laptop I simply left out pcmcia, cd-rom, nfs, nls, math emulation, etc, but here I am also trying to add things.

I would like to compile a general kernel and then one with support for my scsi card to use on occasion.