baslinux - Re: [BL] working as 'user' in BL2 and BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] working as 'user' in BL2 and BL3
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 03:00:38 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Was 'user' intended to be a template for making
other users, rather than to be used as 'user'?

It doesn't matter (as long as you are consistent).
Call your user "user" or "george" or whatever.

If you ever redo BL2

I won't be going back.

Was there some reason other than oversight that you did not chown -R user /home/user yourself?

df showed that the number of bytes on /dev/ram0

That's not what df shows.
What does df show?

So it should have fit,

No, it definitely won't fit.

Something like 3600 vs 4000 free.

The ramdisk contains 4096 kb. No more, no less.
Some of those bytes might be garbage (from deleted
files or from whatever was previously in that block
of RAM). Some of those bytes might be zeros. But
you get the full quota of 4096 kb when you cat a
4mb ramdisk.

I did not know garbage was also catted. I wonder why this worked the first few times. Maybe I had created less garbage. Anyway, it works if I cat to the hard drive instead of /tmp.