baslinux - Re: [BL] Kernel upgrade

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Kernel upgrade
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 01:09:16 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

I was just able to mount -o loop the BL3 fs.img
from BL2 ramdisk and chroot to it. I thought you
needed more space for BL3 than a ramdisk.

Even after the chroot, the BL3 filesystem is still
running from the loop file.
From the DOS partition, while hd BL3 could be mounted from the ext2 linux
partition?

We were trying to find some way to use sed and
user at the same time - BL2 ramdisk has 'user'
and BL3 loop has sed.

Doesn't BL2 ramdisk have sed?
Yes, in busybox, but my partner somehow missed it. I might need to put on the full binaries instead of busybox if he gets very far into this.
Which Slackware packages should I use to replace all of busybox?

Does BL3 installed to hd provide some way to log
in as user

No.

and if not, how can we add that?

It's not easy. Many changes would be required.

My partner is taking a Unix Tools course and wants
to work as user.

For that, BL1 or BL2 would be simpler.

BL3 does not have a login even if I add user to passwd
(there is no shadow file).

For starters, it needs a getty and a new inittab.

Would it be easier to add PCMCIA to BL2 than login
to BL3?

Yes.

Do I just copy over the modules and anything else related to PCMCIA (in rc, for instance) or must I install any other Slackware packages?

Would you like to look at my config.log to help
figure out if I am missing some utilities,

There is no need to post the entire output. Just examine
what is on the screen when the compilation fails. Look
for the earliest error message (which is probably causing
the subsequent ones). It is often a "not found" error.
For example: if it says ncurses.h not found, you are
probably missing the ncurses package (in /slakware/d1).

Configure cannot find things that I know are on the computer. For SANE I fixed it by adding after CFLAGS in all the makefile -I and the path to these files. That did not work here. What am I doing wrong?
-------------------------
This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

It was created by configure, which was
generated by GNU Autoconf 2.59. Invocation command line was

$ ./configure configure:1643: gcc -V </dev/null >&5
gcc: argument to `-V' is missing
conftest.c:2: parse error before `me'
configure:2226: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| #ifndef __cplusplus
| choke me
| #endif
configure:2239: checking how to run the C preprocessor
configure:2356: gcc -E conftest.c
In file included from /usr/include/bits/posix1_lim.h:126,
from /usr/include/limits.h:144,
from
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-slackware-linux/2.95.3/include/limits.h:117,
from
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-slackware-linux/2.95.3/include/syslimits.h:7,
from
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-slackware-linux/2.95.3/include/limits.h:11,
from conftest.c:10:
/usr/include/bits/local_lim.h:36: linux/limits.h: No such file or directory

[I get lots more errors of this sort not finding limits.h]

configure:2356: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h. */
| | #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| /* end confdefs.h. */
| #ifdef __STDC__
| # include <limits.h>
| #else
| # include <assert.h>
| #endif
| Syntax error

/usr/include/sys/cdefs.h:31: #error "You need a ISO C conforming compiler to use
the glibc headers"

[I get lots more of all the above errors]

configure:2449: /lib/cpp conftest.c
In file included from /usr/include/bits/posix1_lim.h:126,
.................. (more of the same)
/usr/include/bits/local_lim.h:36: linux/limits.h: No such file or directory
configure:2449: $? = 1

configure:2460: error: C preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check

[It exits with this message but the config.log continues]

configure: exit 1

-----________

There are cheap adapters to plug CF cards into IDE slots.

They are not cheap new ($54).

Those are not the ones I mean. I'm talking about tiny
little adapters that plug directly to the IDE pins on
the motherboard. You have to remove the cover on your
computer to plug in the CF card, but it's a cheap option.

Do you need to leave the cover off to use this adaptor afterwards? Where does it come out of the case? I presume this would not work if we have two IDE hard drives and one or two CD-ROM drives in there already. We have controller cards to add a controller but are short on ISA slots. It would be easier to plug such an adaptor into a parallel port but I suppose that would transfer more slowly. But faster than via serial port.

I could buy a used serial camera for that.

CF-PCMCIA sleeves sell for $5 here (brand new).
CF-IDE adapters cost a bit more.
A used digital camera costs at least 5 times that.

In either event I am thinking about buying another used digital camera. Ours was $50 five years ago (1995 Epson .3 Megapixels) and it produces fuzzy pictures compared to newer ones at the same resolution. A serial Olympus can, if I am persistent, be had for about $50. Are the USB ones any better? It would be nice to have a choice.

I will try the SW71 USB kernel some time with our USB optical mouse. Other than boot with that kernel, do I need additional software or editing of files?