baslinux - Re: [BL] 1 floppy demo

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 1 floppy demo
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 21:28:15 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> > Do you understand what a filesystem is?
> Apparently I don't. Would you like to explain?

A filesystem is a formatted device where files can be
written, read and executed. mke2fs creates an ext2
filesystem on the specificed device.

When a kernel completes booting, it goes to the
specified filesystem (root=) and spawns the initial
process it finds there (usually /sbin/init). The
initial process then follows the instructions in
/etc/inittab. That's where the startup scripts are
run and the getties spawned.

All of that stuff sits on the root filesystem (plus
all the libraries, binaries and config files needed
to make them work). The root filesystem can hold
much more than that (and usually does) but the
essential stuff must be there.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru