baslinux - Re: [BL] 1 floppy demo

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 1 floppy demo
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 07:00:53 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Computers with pcmcia and ethernet and cdrom
drives probably have at least 12MB RAM

That's not correct. I've owned three laptops with
PCMCIA slots and 4mb RAM. I've found ISA network
cards and CDrom drives in PCs with as little as
2mb RAM.

I had no idea such laptops existed. Our 12MB 486 had pcmcia but the 8MB does not. Maybe someone upgraded the RAM.

I will see what I can do to make BL3 work
better in 8MB RAM from 2 floppy disks

With 8mb RAM your best course of action is to
use the DOS version of BL3. That leaves your
entire 8mb free for use.

I know, but I like challenges. And this would also produce a BL3 that would work on a 386 with 3MB RAM from a small hard drive if I can get it to work with loadlin instead of lilo from 2 floppies. Not that BL1 would not work there already, probably better.

root filesystem is a selected set of files that you
need in order to run a minmal linux

Not really. A root filesystem might contain a selected
set of files that you need in order to run a minimal
Linux. But that is not the definition of a root
filesystem. Do you understand what a filesystem is?

Apparently I don't. Would you like to explain?

I don't think I should automatically install disk2.tgz
in the computer with 8MB RAM because it will install to
/dev/ram1

Not necessarily. Only the /usr/X11R6 directory (and sub-
directories) is on /dev/ram1. Files going into other
directories will not sit on /dev/ram1

So if I make my own disk2.tgz it will install files to wherever they belong, and if there are no files in /usr/X11R6 it won't install them. I get it. I just have to make sure not to add more than 2MB to ram0 in addition to the modules and links. links2 might fit, I will take a look (instead of links-0.90). It might fit better if I can learn to compile it without X.

I really don't need a laptop for anything but this is really educational. Thanks for all the information. The best way to learn is by doing.