baslinux - Re: [BL] 1 floppy demo

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 1 floppy demo
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 00:42:07 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

If you ever redo BL3 2-floppy, you could put the
modules on disk 1 and the man pages on disk 2

No, that wouldn't work. manpages are 97kb.
modules are 338kb. There simply isn't room
on the first floppy for such a switch.

You could put many of the modules on the first disk - ppp, slhc, lp, parport, parport_pc, so that people can use BL3 in 8MB RAm with one disk. Besides moving the manpages to disk 2, you could move X and games.

Computers with pcmcia and ethernet and cdrom drives probably have at least 12MB RAM so can use the 2-floppy setup.

to make disk1 more useful as a single disk linux.

It's not meant to be a single-disk Linux (there are
plenty of those available already). The 2-floppy
BL3 is a temporary Linux whose primary purpose is
to install itself to HD.

I only mentioned that the first floppy was self-sufficient
because we were discussing boot floppies and root floppies.
I thought you might find it interesting that the first BL3
floppy is a combined boot/root floppy.

It is a very interesting setup. I will see what I can do to make BL3 work better in 8MB RAM from 2 floppy disks since you are not interested.

If you are not too busy I would be very interested to get
a general idea of how you made the disk images for BL3.

disk1.img is a boot/root floppy. lilo, zimage and root
filesystem (compressed) are written directly to the floppy
using the method shown in the bootdisk-HOWTO.

root filesystem is a selected set of files that you need in order to run a minmal linux and install other packages, plus whatever else fit onto that disk (such as manpages and bits of X)?

disk2.tgz is really just a BL3 package. /etc/rc (from the
first floppy) installs it. You could put a different package
on the second floppy -- as long as you call it disk2.tgz, it
will be automatically installed.

disk1.img is an image file and disk2.tgz is a package? Okay, I will try putting my own smaller package on disk2 and before installing it I can umount /usr/X11R6 and delete enough files to make space for links or maybe links2 and some modules in /dev/ram0. Or is there some way to install just part of the existing .tgz package from ram0 linux?

I don't think I should automatically install disk2.tgz in the computer with 8MB RAM because it will install to /dev/ram1 which I need to remove to get enough RAM to work in. So I can call it anything I want, or put links and modules in two separate packages.

I will try this after we finish deleting enough clutter from the table to make space to work in. Three answering machines already fixed or recycled.