baslinux - Re: [BL] 1 floppy demo

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 1 floppy demo
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 03:39:07 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

BL3 can browse the internet using links
I wonder if it could be fit into a 1-floppy version.

It's just too tight on a 1.44mb floppy (that's why
most 1-floppy Linuxes use a higher-density floppy).
Remember the floppy has to hold the kernel and boot
loader too. That leaves less than 1mb for the root
filesystem.

I forget how large links is -> 300K?

428kb. Plus it needs libc (580kb)

I found a few more small bits of X that could be removed.
Also e3vi (leaving e3pi)

e3pi and e3vi are the same (linked) file.
You save nothing by deleting one.

and setleds.

9kb? That's not going to get us very far.

Looks like links definitely needs a second floppy disk, but I would like to try using Bl3 in just the first 4MB RAMdisk, which means I have to get the needed modules, and links, onto a second disk which I can then mount to copy files from, without the X directory. If Bl2 can do it BL3 should be able to - load from 2 floppy disks but run in just 4MB ramdisk. Then I want to try putting the modules on the first disk instead of X and games (and setleds if I really need the space ;=) ) so that I can stick one disk into a computer with 8MB RAM and go online. As a challenge.

If not, I think you could still put links (and the slhc
and ppp modules) on a second floppy disk and copy them
to the 4MB ram0 (which has 2MB free)

That's where they go now (from the second floppy).
Only the X stuff goes into /usr/X11R6 (2nd ramdisk).
links goes to /usr/bin (1st ramdisk).
The modules go to /lib/modules/2.2.16/pcmcia (1st ramdisk).

Is it JUST the pcmcia modules that are on the second disk? If so, the first disk is already adequate for dialing, doing serial or parallel file transfers, and printing. If the other modules in /misc are also on disk2, I would need to copy some of them as well (lp parport parport_pc, slhc and ppp), in which case I would delete anything X first.

Is it harder to modify disk1.gz than baslinux.gz, or can I do it the same way? BL3 2-floppy uses a linux not a DOS disk to boot from so maybe it works differently.