baslinux - Re: [BL] 1 floppy demo

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 1 floppy demo
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:02:29 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Deleted anything to do with X, games
pcmcia, also e3vi which is 12K and is
not a link to e3pi.

Oh, yes it is. e3vi and e3pi are the same
file (with two names).
ls -l showed them as two separate files with 12K each. Why?

I tried doing dd if=/dev/ram1 and got a
lot of garbage

On the screen? That's where the output
goes when you give no of= parameter.
I typed what you said to type, with only if=/dev/ram1 and no of.
Anyway, when I load my two disks no ram1 gets created this time.

I am dialed in via an external 33K modem and links works perfectly and quickly on this 486DX25 with 8MB RAM and BL3 in 4MB RAMdisk (occupying 2.5MB of it). So it might even work in less RAM.m But less well.
I set terminal to no color and there is still greyscale rather than mono.

Telnet works just as well as on a pentium.

I have 2435 MB of files in ram0. There should
be space for links2

Really? links2 is 2-3mb (depending on how it's
compiled). You've only got 1.6mb left on the
ramdisk.

I was just about to mention that the package you compiled is 1.9MB and obviously would not fit into 2MB (1.6 plus 400 used now for links-0.90.)

Some day I may try compiling links2 without X support to make it smaller (and without nls support probably). Also a version with svgalib instead of X support for use on laptops that do 4 or 8-bit color which Xvesa/links2 cannot handle. There is also the links-ssl version that you found for uClibC. I don't recall what was wrong with it - is it larger than 0.90?

> >> I can put it, with a library file or two from >> svgalib and seejpeg and the correct config file
to utilize them,

You might find it easier to start with BL1, which
is already set up for vgalib.

I already got seejpeg working in Bl1 and want to try it in BL3 now. I also got zgv working but it is much larger. I like BL3.

vgalib only goes to 16 colors and I want to try svgalib for 8-bit color.
I will look in svgalib.tgz for a newer library file.

How would I go about adding swap-space to a BL3
that is running in RAMdisk?

You'll need some HD space (either a file on an
existing partition or a swap partition).

I can copy over the zipped swap file from BL3 loop to a floppy disk (to make it portable) and use that on a friend's computer. Or use it in the baslin partition on my computer if I want to run RAMdisk BL3 with swap file. I am doing okay without it to access simple websites with links, it was just the disk2.tgz file that caused problems when viewed with links 'd'.

> >> how do I instruct Bl3 to use it? swapon?

For a swap file, mount the partition the
file is on, then:
-----------------------------
swapon /full/pathname/of/file> -----------------------------

swapon /hd/bl3/swapfile

For a swap partition:
----------------
swapon /dev/hdxy
----------------
where xy is partition designation

would swapon -a (for all swap files) work too? After mounting hd.

You could even do this with 1.2MB floppy disks.

Early versions of the BL1 floppies were kept
under 1.2mb so you could use 1.2mb floppies
with make_fd.bat. I think I've got a couple
of 1.2mb floppies in a box somewhere with BL1
still on them.

I put disk1 on a 720K - kernel, loadlin, and DOS files to make the ramdisk and boot. I could have several versions of disk2 depending on the hardware to use it on or the intended purpose (browsing or networking).

I will get to work on seejpeg/svgalib and see if they fit in disk2 (300K).
I could put a package on disk1 instead.