baslinux - Re: [BL] 1 floppy demo

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 1 floppy demo
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 07:55:16 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> BL3 can browse the internet using links
> I wonder if it could be fit into a 1-floppy version.

It's just too tight on a 1.44mb floppy (that's why
most 1-floppy Linuxes use a higher-density floppy).
Remember the floppy has to hold the kernel and boot
loader too. That leaves less than 1mb for the root
filesystem.

> I forget how large links is -> 300K?

428kb. Plus it needs libc (580kb)

> I found a few more small bits of X that could be removed.
> Also e3vi (leaving e3pi)

e3pi and e3vi are the same (linked) file.
You save nothing by deleting one.

> and setleds.

9kb? That's not going to get us very far.

> If not, I think you could still put links (and the slhc
> and ppp modules) on a second floppy disk and copy them
> to the 4MB ram0 (which has 2MB free)

That's where they go now (from the second floppy).
Only the X stuff goes into /usr/X11R6 (2nd ramdisk).
links goes to /usr/bin (1st ramdisk).
The modules go to /lib/modules/2.2.16/pcmcia (1st ramdisk).

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru