baslinux - Re: [BL] 1 floppy demo

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 1 floppy demo
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 07:39:49 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> > e3vi and e3pi are the same file (with two names).
> ls -l showed them as two separate files with 12K
> each. Why?

Because ls sees them as standalone files.
If you do:
-----
ln -i
-----
you will see that both files have the same
inode (i.e. they are the same file).

> I typed what you said to type,

I didn't say to type exactly that. I normally
put exact commands inside two parallel lines.

> with only if=/dev/ram1 and no of.

dd is possibly the most dangerous command in Linux.
If you don't know exactly what you are doing, you
probaby shouldn't be using it.

> > links2 is 2-3mb (depending on how it's compiled).
> > You've only got 1.6mb left on the ramdisk.
>
> the package you compiled is 1.9MB

That's the compressed package. The uncompressed
executable (which is what needs to sit on the
filesystem) is over 3mb.

> There is also the links-ssl version that you found
> for uClibC.

diet-libc

> I don't recall what was wrong with it - is it larger
> than 0.90?

Yes and no. The actual executable is larger than 0.90,
but it has been compressed by the UPX executable packer.

> > swapon /full/pathname/of/file
>
> would swapon -a (for all swap files) work too?

No.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru