baslinux - Re: [BL] 1 floppy demo

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 1 floppy demo
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:49:24 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Is the links-0.90 in BL3 also compressed with UPX?

No. Nothing in BL3 is compressed with UPX.

If not I could compress it to make more RAMdisk
space, right?

To make more *storage* space. However, when the
executable is run it swells significantly (in RAM).
Moreover the unpacking process takes a noticeable
amount of time on an old PC.

When links-0.90 is unpacked into working RAM, does it still occupy 460K or so on ramdisk? If so, upx'ing it would free up some ramdisk space and you say the kernel can make use of free space on the ramdisk as working RAM.
That would gain about 100K of RAM, I think, which might keep it from crashing as often without a swap file (for instance on the computer of a friend who does not want anything put on the hard drive). On a friend's computer speed is unlikely to be a problem, but of course RAM is also not likely to be in short supply so I could actually run elinks (perhaps off a floppy disk).

I cannot find your instructions about running dd if=/dev/ram1 but I think they were enclosed in ____ . Since this is a ramdisk version I cannot do anything but temporary damage. You were trying to figure out whether the ram1 was still taking up space after umounting /usr/X11R6.