baslinux - [BL] hash tables

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] hash tables
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:11:31 +0000 (UTC)

I have a hard disk with two ext2 partitions on it which was working with BL3 on one and Bl2 on the other. I moved it to another board and it would not boot. The problem folowed the hard drive back to the first board and to a third board. Another drive with ext2 on it boots linux in these computers. So it is drive-specific.

I did e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hdb2 and /hdb3 on the drive. In hdb2 it found some things wrong and fixed them. It still would not boot. I ran it again, it found nothing wrong this time. (First time I may have turned off the power instead of rebooting).

I set up a substitute drive using BL3 floppy/linux fdisk and mke2fs as hdc. The original ext2 drive left in there as hdb.

I mounted the old partitions and did tar -cvf * and got temp.tar. I started to gzip this and it was taking forever, so since I had enough room I simply copied the .tar file instead of a .tgz. Much much quicker.
Did this for BL2 and BL3.

I untarred both temp.tar files (BL2 and Bl3 to hdc2 and hdc1) and they have the same problem as the original ext2 drive so apparently this is software related and it is something not fixed by e2fsck (at least when I ran it) and affects both partitions.

Other than wipe the new drive clean with mke2fs on another computer and copy the files from there, what can I try to fix this drive and the copy I made from it?

The boot gets stuck after:
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP.

Normally this should be followed by:
TCP: Hash tables configured (ehash 65536 bhash 65536)

Is a hash table something outside of the partitions themselves that I can fix? Dr. Linux book failed me here.

My little problem is multiplied by a bad power switch and a computer that won't boot linux unless I first boot with MS-DOS 7.1 or Win98 DOS from floppy disk. I don't want to get into switching OS'es until the drive problem is solved.