baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3-32 on laptop via serial cable?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3-32 on laptop via serial cable?
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 01:34:43 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Netcat has no ability to unpack .tgz files. You simply
pipe the output of the remote netcat to: tar -zx

You did not include this in your suggestion.

My suggestion was to to execute: receive
(which already pipes netcat output to tar -zx)

Okay, I did not know that. I will look at your script for receive.
Send probably compresses the file before sending it.

Set up serial network with pppd at both ends, and nullmodem cable.
On receiving computer cd /, type 'receive'

So far so good.

On sending computer type: 'senduntar'
The senduntar script would be:
cat $1 |nc lois 33 | tar -zx ($1?)

No, that is not correct. The piping stops with nc
(which transmits the data to the remote nc).

I will remove the |tar -zx if using receive and make up some other script name (catnet?), but my question was about $1 - is that the way to write a script where you fill in the file name instead of $1?

On destination computer Ctrl-c to exit receive mode then :
/install/doinst.sh

This is only necessary if /install/doinst.sh actually
exists. Many packages do not have installation scripts.

That must be why when I run pkg or installpkg I get a message about not finding any such script.

ldconfig

This is only necessary if the package contains a library.

You would need to do this separately for each package
otherwise the doinst.sh would overwrite the previous one

Unless you modified the receive script to execute doinst.sh
as each package was received. This could be done by merging
the pkg and receive scripts.

After the above steps are all taken, do I also end up with the original .tgz file or just the installed version of it (the pieces distributed to various directories)?

so cat *.tgz would not be safe to use, right?

That would depend on whether more than one package had a
doinst.sh script. And, even if a doinst.sh were overwritten,
it might not be fatal. Some doinst.sh scripts are trivial.

This should install the package to lois without also leaving
a copy of it on lois, I hope.

I don't really see what the problem is. I sometimes move
packages from one computer to another using send/receive.
I then install (pkg) the package and delete it. No sweat.

It sounds like the above script would accomplish the same thing as send, if the .tgz file actually ends up on the target computer. If I don't have space to copy all the packages to the destination computer at one time (with send *.tgz) I could just send one package file at a time and then run pkg on it. At least now I understand better how the send and receive scripts work and how pkg works. I was thinking there might be a situation where you are trying to install a very large package (Abiword, for instance) and do not have space for the package as well as the installed files.

It looks like the nc method can also be used to write
a script 'sendfile' that will send a single file without
having to answer the question about the address of the
receiving computer

Sure, edit the script to set a permanent destination.

Or, if you were planning on doing a lot of this stuff,
you could configure links to send .tgz files to that
destination.

How can you send with links? I thought browsers were for viewing files not sending them.

assuuming the receiving computer is always lois and
the sender clark.

netcat only cares about the destination (lois). It
doesn't want to know the sender (clark).

Yes, and your receive/send routine only wants the destination too.
I will attempt to understand those scripts and try writing a few of my own.