baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3-32 on laptop via serial cable?

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3-32 on laptop via serial cable?
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 07:38:11 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> We have not noticed the loop version being unstable.

I didn't say the current fs.img is unstable.
However, if you want a bigger root filesystem, a dedicated
Linux partition is more stable than a large loop sitting
on a DOS partition.

> > Netcat is running on both ends (receive tells netcat
> > to listen on port 33). Anything piped to the local
> > netcat is output by the remote netcat.
>
> I think your 'send' script also uses cat.

Yes, the send script uses netcat.

> Very versatile and I had no idea it could unpack .tgz
> files.

Netcat has no ability to unpack .tgz files. You simply
pipe the output of the remote netcat to: tar -zx

> Is there also some way to set up the serial network so
> that the computer containing the packages can be mounted
> as a directory on the computer where you want to install
> the packages?

Yes, using NFS.

> Would this require installing another package on the source
> computer (mc-serv?).

Yes. You run a NFS server on the source computer (it's in
tcpip1.tgz). You can then mount that filesystem from the
destination computer. The BL2 kernel has the ability to
mount NFS; the BL3 kernel does not (use bare.i instead).

> Then you could use pkg (single-step procedure instead of
> three steps).

It's not single-step. First you have to start the NFS
server (which requires three commands). Then you have
to mount the filesystem. Only then can you do pkg.
Of course, you could put the NFS commands into a script,
but you could also put the netcat commands into a script.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru