baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3-32 on laptop via serial cable?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3-32 on laptop via serial cable?
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 02:45:51 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

make the loop larger - but could the instructions be
posted at the Bl3 site as a FAQ?

I have not posted the instructions for increasing the
size of the loop file because I don't want to encourage
new users to do that. It is much better for them to put
BL3 on its own HD partition (using install-to-hd).

What makes the ext2 version better than the loop version?

after setting up a plip or serial pppd transfer cable
connection, instead of sending the .tgz files to the DOS
or ext2 directory, is there some simple way to install
the packages over the connection

Yes. On the receiving machine (where you want to
install the package), do the following:
-------
cd /
receive
-------

On the sending machine, do the following:
-------------------------------
cat package.tgz | nc address 33
-------------------------------
package.tgz = the package you want to install
address = the address (or name) of receiving machine

For example to install smbclien.tgz on lois:
cat smbclien.tgz | nc lois 33

Does this do the equivalent of pkg (i. e., unpack the files and run any scripts to make symlinks)?

If I want to install all the packages in a directory, can I do
cat *.tgz ...... ?

Netcat is doing something to computer lois at port 33? All I could get from man nc is that it has something to do with networking.

This seems like a much simpler way than file transfer followed by pkg and does not require space on the destination computer for the package files. Thanks!