baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3-32 on laptop via serial cable?

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3-32 on laptop via serial cable?
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:04:45 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> What makes the ext2 version better than the loop version?

The loop version is ext2 (even though the file sits on
a DOS partition). A dedicated Linux partition is better
than a loop because it is faster and more stable.

> > -------------------------------
> > cat package.tgz | nc address 33
> > -------------------------------
>
> Does this do the equivalent of pkg (i. e., unpack the
> files and run any scripts to make symlinks)?

It unpacks the files. It does not automatcally execute
the installation script (doinst.sh). If /install/doinst.sh
exists, you will have to run it yourself (then delete it).
If any libraries are in the package, you should also run
ldconfig.

> If I want to install all the packages in a directory,
> can I do cat *.tgz ...... ?

Probably. But without trying it myself, I can't be
absolutely sure.

> Netcat is doing something to computer lois at port 33?

Netcat is running on both ends (receive tells netcat
to listen on port 33). Anything piped to the local
netcat is output by the remote netcat.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru