baslinux - [BL] loadlin on hda2, ext2 on hda1

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] loadlin on hda2, ext2 on hda1
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 04:32:30 +0000 (UTC)

My partner wants to practice loading a 'regular' linux (I gave him SW3.2 and the book for it) and has a computer with 1.2G drive and Win98 on the first 1G. He managed to make the 200MB DOS partition boot by making it active, and now wants to change the first (Win98) partition to ext2 to put linux on there. He also wants to try SuSE, Caldera, and Mandrake (for which we have installation boosk) to see what they look like.

Two questions:

1. Can you boot hda1 ext2 linux from hda2 loadlin?
2. Will the non-Slackware distributions fit into 1G (minimal installation) and if so, would they fit just as well in 500MB so that he could try two at the same time?

Eventually the 1G would end up as BL3 and/or BL2.