baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3-32 on laptop via serial cable?

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3-32 on laptop via serial cable?
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 09:13:16 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> > Netcat has no ability to unpack .tgz files. You simply
> > pipe the output of the remote netcat to: tar -zx
>
> You did not include this in your suggestion.

My suggestion was to to execute: receive
(which already pipes netcat output to tar -zx)

> Set up serial network with pppd at both ends, and nullmodem cable.
> On receiving computer cd /, type 'receive'

So far so good.

> On sending computer type: 'senduntar'
> The senduntar script would be:
> cat $1 |nc lois 33 | tar -zx ($1?)

No, that is not correct. The piping stops with nc
(which transmits the data to the remote nc).

> On destination computer Ctrl-c to exit receive mode then :
> /install/doinst.sh

This is only necessary if /install/doinst.sh actually
exists. Many packages do not have installation scripts.

> ldconfig

This is only necessary if the package contains a library.

> You would need to do this separately for each package
> otherwise the doinst.sh would overwrite the previous one

Unless you modified the receive script to execute doinst.sh
as each package was received. This could be done by merging
the pkg and receive scripts.

> so cat *.tgz would not be safe to use, right?

That would depend on whether more than one package had a
doinst.sh script. And, even if a doinst.sh were overwritten,
it might not be fatal. Some doinst.sh scripts are trivial.

> This should install the package to lois without also leaving
> a copy of it on lois, I hope.

I don't really see what the problem is. I sometimes move
packages from one computer to another using send/receive.
I then install (pkg) the package and delete it. No sweat.

> It looks like the nc method can also be used to write
> a script 'sendfile' that will send a single file without
> having to answer the question about the address of the
> receiving computer

Sure, edit the script to set a permanent destination.
Or, if you were planning on doing a lot of this stuff,
you could configure links to send .tgz files to that
destination.

> assuuming the receiving computer is always lois and
> the sender clark.

netcat only cares about the destination (lois). It
doesn't want to know the sender (clark).

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru