baslinux - Re: [BL] Windows networking

  • From: "Sheldon Isaac" <SheldonIsaac AT MyRealBox.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Windows networking
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:51:58 -0500

Using BL3.32 with bzimage on machine 'other', Ethernet crossover cabled
to machine 'asus' which has Windows 98 First Edition.

> > smbclient \\\\asus\\E
> > the response is
> > Added interface ip=127.0.0.1 bcast=127.255.255.255 nmask=255.0.0.0
> > error connecting to 192.168.1.3:139

> Have you tried: smbclient -L asus

Nowadays (depending on the setting on the Win98 machine, see below), the
response to that command line is: [and I don't know why the error message
is different than above]

-------------
params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file
"etc/smb.conf": No such file or directory
Can't load etc/smb.conf - run testparm to debug it
Added interface ip=127.0.0.1 bcast=127.255.255.255 nmask=255.0.0.0
session request to ASUS failed
session request to *SMBSERVER failed

-------------

So I rename etc/smb.good to etc/smb.conf , containing [global] and
on the next line encrypt passwords = yes

and try again with smbclient -L asus

This time it skips the stuff about no smb.conf, but still the session
requests fail.

> > (Connection refused)
> > Connection to asus failed
>
> This is probably an authentication problem, perhaps
> encrypted password. Do the same command again with
> the -d3 parameter to get debugging info.
>
> If the problem is occuring because win98 wants an encrypted
> password (which is likely), you have two options. Turn off
> that feature on win98 or tell smbclient to use encryption.

Now I've set the sharing on the Windows 98 machine so that drive E: is
shared read-only, no passwords.

Same result, the session requests fail.

Now, on the Windows 98 machine, under Network Properties, I go to the
screen for Properties of the TCP/IP protocol which is bound to the
Ethernet card.
I click the tab regarding Bindings. I check the box called "File and
printer sharing for Microsoft Networks".
The dialog says I have to reboot to make that effective, so I will save
this message and hope it's still there after the reboot.

===========

OK, the message is still here to be edited in my Windows e-mail program
on machine asus .

Now, when I issue the command
smbclient -L asus on machine 'other',
the response is
Added interface ip=127.0.0.1 bcast=127.255.255.255 nmask=255.0.0.0
Password:
[at this prompt I press the Enter key]

And then the response is

Sharename Type Comment
------------- ----- -----------
E Disk
FPROT Disk
IPC$ IPC Remote Inter Process Communication

Server Comment
---------- -----------
ASUS

Workgroup Master
------------ --------
WORKGROUP ASUS

And then when I say

smbclient \\\\asus\\E

I soon can get to a prompt that looks like

smb: \>

and if I say

help or ?

it gives a list of commands, looks kind of like the ones in an ftp
program.

If I say ls

it shows the files in the Windows computer's E:\

This message is long enough, so will report more later.

Many thanks, Steven.

Sheldon