baslinux - Re: [BL] Windows networking

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Windows networking
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:25:12 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, James Miller wrote:

> Windows up to 2000 (without any service packs). Questions that remain for
> me are: would having service packs applied to Win2K have any effect on
> smbclient's ability to connect? And: will this work with XP and how does
> installation of service packs affect those versions?

I set up a computer with Windows XP Pro for my niece that we will take to
her over the Thanksgiving holidays. I thought I was done with that awhile
back, but then computer parts started appearing that I could upgrade that
machine with. As a result, I've been working on it again over the last
day or so. I decided I could use it to check BL3's smbclient's ability to
access XP shares. Put that XP machine on my network and made a shared
folder on it, then I booted BL3 and issued:

smbclient //xp-box-name/xp-box-sharename

I did not specify a username and password as I had with Win2K, nor did I
give an IP address as I did with Win2K. It seems I didn't need to. I was
prompted for a password and, when I entered the password of the XP Pro
system user I had set up (administrative acct--not sure if this matters)
was logged in and could browse the share. Downloaded a file successfully.
When I tried uploading, it wouldn't work. I looked at the XP machine and
for shared folders there are separate options that must be enabled for 1)
browsing the share; and 2) writing to it. Once I enabled write/change
access for the share, I was able to upload a file as well. So, pretty
much a complete success: BL3 works with XP Pro as well.

This machine has service pack 1 applied and uses an NTFS filesystem. I'll
bet service pack 2 could present some obstacles, but I have no machine to
try that on.

More success! Thanks again, Steven.

James